kristiecakes

A blog about cakes, cupcakes and other sweet + savory confectionery goodies.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

How to...Make a Curly Fries Cake

 So continuing with my never ending obsession with re-creating my favorite foods into cakes, I wanted to do something different. I don't know about you guys, but I'm a jack in the box fanatic (hah), particularly their curly fries. There's just something about those fries, I crave them ALL THE TIME (probably because they're deep fried.)

 Things you'll need:
Fondant: (Can be purchased online, or at your local walmart. If you can't find all colors, use food coloring to tint your white fondant to the color you need)
-white
-blue
-red
-brown
-yellow
Yellow Food coloring
Brown Icing Color
Brush (clean or new brush !)
Cake + Frosting of your choice
Knife (for trimming and cutting)
Butterknife (to smooth frosting)
cake board (I used a dinner plate but if you wanna get fancy, you can find a variety of cakeboards online, walmart, or specialty stores)
Cornstarch (to prevent fondant from sticking)
Rolling pin

 Per usual, the first step is always to bake the cake, let it cool completely, and prep your frosting. I used an 8x8 pan since I'm making a "to size" cake. After cake is cooled completely, cut cake in a rectangular shape to mimic the box the fries are held in. I used a jack in the box picture of curly fries for a reference. Don't forget that the bottom of the box is a slightly curved "U" shape.



 Next I wanted to create the illusion of the opening of the box so I trimmed the top in another "U" shape and cut the top half down. Not my best explanation, but see picture for clarification. Also, don't forget that the bottom half of the "box" has rounded corners. Small details are what is gonna set you apart from the rest ;).


 After looking at the picture and my cake, I realized that the shape of the box is actually not a rectangle, but the sides are angled. Trim both sides at an angle.


Frost entire cake and leave in the fridge to set for about 20 minutes.


 While the cake is setting We are going to start making the "curly fries." I start with my favorite fry, you know the biggest curly one. I start by making the fondant color, I started with a rust orange color (mix red fondant with a little of blue til your rust color), and added a little brown to create a darker orange-y tint.

Next roll out your fondant to be about 1/2 cm and cut into 1/4 cm strips. The length can vary, you will be making all your fries from these strips. Twist and bend them how you feel looks best. See my examples below


The final step is painting them with yellow food coloring on the outside, to get the golden brown color. Continue making fries until you think you have enough to cover your cake. Set them aside to dry


While your fries are drying you can prepare your fondant. We will first prep the white to cover the fry box. Roll out the fondant to 1/4th of cm, and set on the side.



Take out your "curly fries box," and using a clean butter knife, smooth out all lumps. This will prevent any lumps from showing, and add a more realistic flat appearance. One of the benefits of letting your cake sit the fridge to set is when you smooth out the unwanted lumps, it will not change the shape of the cake because the frosting is no longer soft.



Taking the rolled out white fondant, place biggest portion over the middle of the cake. Smooth out sides, make sure to also adhere the fondant to the "curly fries box" opening.



After fondant is pressed to the cake, trim edges and set in fridge.


Finally, I wanted to put a jack in the box-esque logo on the front of the fries. I decided to go with the traditional "jack in the box" red label, but instead replacing "Jack" with fries.





AND best for last is the assembly of all parts! Adhere the logo to the front of the fries. Next take out your cake "fries" and carefully place them as you wish your "fries" to look.


Last detail is optional, I used brown icing color to add "burnt" touches to the color of the fries. Take a little brush and using just a little brown tint the tops and edges of your fries. Blend by brushing through entire fry.






Lots of exciting things have already happened this year, super grateful and excited for what's next! Stay tuned :)
-Kristie



No comments:

Post a Comment